Zin – An American Bistro - 198 S. Palm Canyon Dr. (at Arenas Rd.) Palm Springs, CA 92262 760-322-6300 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 760-322-6300 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Zin offers adventurous and robust dishes robust American entries like buttermilk-fried chicken, a Zin burger, a “very adult” macaroni and cheese and apple pie with great atmosphere and attentive staff.
Spenser’s on the Mountain – Romantic dinner. 701 West Baristo Road . Palm Springs . CA . 9226 (760) 327-3446. Location is near edge of mountains downtown:
Shame on the Moon Restaurant – Delicious and affordable, Where the locals go. Reservations a must: 760 324-5515, Hostess: Ginger
69950 Frank Sinatra Drive Rancho Mirage 92270-2831 SUMMER HOURS OPEN TUESDAY - SUNDAY at 5:30pm
Daily Grill - 73-601 El Paseo, Palm Desert, CA 92260 760 779-9911 at 73-061 El Paseo, Palm Desert, CA Phone: 760/779-9911
Serves good salads, a fine gazpacho, zesty pasta dishes, and various blue-plate specials. The sidewalk terrace invites people-watching, and the weekend brunches are very festive. A bit overpriced.
City Wok - Chinese, across from Marriott in Palm Desert, Country Club.74-970 Country Club Drive Palm Desert, CA 92260 760-341-1511 Hours: Mon–Thurs11:30 AM to 9:30 PM; Fri & Sat 11:30 AM to 10:00 PM; Sun11:30 AM to 9:00 PM.
Thai Smile - inexpensive Thai food in shopping center off Bob Hope and 111.
Pomme Frite - in Palm Springs - great mussels with wonderful fries served in paper cone with3 dipping sauces. Also get Veal Poulard if available (special for Wedesdays).
Wally’s Desert Turtle- very expensive but really good.
La Bella Cucina - In Desert Crossings Shopping Center on 111 (near Fred Waring) - Family run Italian place with absolutely no atmosphere but delicious Italian food and really cheap!! Usually crowded.
Las Casuelas – The Original
368 N Palm Canyon Dr
Palm Springs, CA 92262
The original Las Casuelas may not have the party ambience of the larger, more touristy Terazza down the street . . . or the spectacular Nuevas in Rancho Mirage, but easier to get in, food is the same, excellent quality and the service is attentive and fast.
Las Casuelas Nueva
70050 Highway 111,
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
Tel: (760) 328-8844
Always busy, well-run restaurant and bar, complete with dance floor, provides great Mexican food, friendly service and fun. Strolling mariachis start playing in the morning. Try the Carnitas (seasoned, twice-cooked pork with salsa and condiments). We’ve tried all three and found the food to be a bit better at this location.
Las Casuelas Terraza
222 S. Palm Canyon Dr
Palm Springs, CA 92262 (760) 325-2794
The restaurant is large. When you enter a costume clad hostess will seat you. I suggest the patio, as it is like sitting in a pretty garden in Mexico. They also have mariachis playing music here.
“C. C. Inn” a.k.a. The Cedar Creek Inn – Nice more formal lunch or dinner. Great salads. "Old world" Palm Springs. Cedar Creek Inn 1555 South Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92264 Reservations: 760/325-7300. Note: also restaurant in Palm Desert - Cedar Creek Inn on El Paseo - 73445 El Paseo, Palm Desert, 92260
P. F. Changs - The River, 71800 Highway 111, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270 Phone: (760) 776-4912. They will take a reservation. Try the Lettuce Wraps (appetizer) and Dan Dan noodles or Lemon Chicken for entrées.
Mario’s Italian Café – closest to Marriott is Mario's Italian Café, Mario's Italian Cafe
42-104 Washington St., Bermuda Dunes, CA. (760) 772-6100. From Marriott, take Cook heading south and turn left at Hovley Lane East which becomes 42nd Ave. Continue across Washington Street then quick right into shopping center on right. You’ll see Mario’s. Large portions and excellent value. Really delicious.
Keedy's Fountain & Grill - 73-633 Highway 111; 760-346-6492), a 1950’s soda fountain. Great breakfasts and lunches. The pankcakes are fantastic. And for lunch, the burgers are THE BEST.
The Elephant Bar - 73833 Hwy 111, Palm Desert, CA 92260-4005 Tel: (760) 340-0456. Good alternative for a casual lunch. Not pricy, well located. Nice fast service. Big menu, happy hours, spacious. Quality of food is very good.
C.J.’s Diner - 74894 Lennon Pl Ste H1, Palm Desert, CA 92260 Tel: (760) 837-9650. Haven’t tried it but review looks interesting.
Pacifica Seafood - 73505 El Paseo, Palm Desert, CA 92260
Tel: 760 674 8666. Haven’t tried but rated #1 of 200 desert area restaurants.
Sherman’s Deli - 73161 Country Club Dr, Palm Desert, CA 92260-2350
Tel: (760) 568-1350. Huge portions. Great food. People say New Yorkers won’t be disappointed.
Papa Dan’s – 73-131 Country Club at Monterey 568-3267
Arnold Palmer’s Restaurant - 78164 Ave 52, La Quinta, CA 92253-8909
Tel: (760) 771-4653
Worth going to once, if only to enjoy the clubby atmosphere and the “legend”. We enjoyed having a light fare dinner out on patio but be prepared, the place can be crowded and noisy. Food is good, but about 20% overpriced.
Peabody's Café - 134 S Palm Canyon Dr (@ Tahquitz Canyon Way) Palm Springs, CA 92262. Kind of a ritual, we always go to Peabody’s at least once for coffee and breakfast. Great people watching.
Benny's Bagels - Bagels/Bakery. Made fresh daily & cooked after boiling in the old, traditional way. No fat, cholesterol, or preservatives. 72-785 Hwy 111 (760) 568-4990 Tasty fresh and hot.
Tyler’s Burgers - 149 S Indian Canyon Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92262-6603 Tel: (760) 325-2990. Haven’t tried it but looks interesting.
In n Out Burger - 72265 Varner Rd., Thousand Palms, CA 92276
Sunday through Thursday 10:30 a.m.-1:00 a.m.
Friday and Saturday 10:30 a.m.-1:30 a.m. Directions from Palm Desert area:
1. Take 111 to Monterey Ave
2. Follow Monterey "up" heading north past Country Club, Frank Sumatra, Gerald Ford, and Dinah Shore.
3. Go under I-10 overpass and take left onto Varner Road (access road that parallels I-10) heading to Ramon Road, which is next intersection.
4. At Ramon Road, turn right and it's in front of you.
2nd location in Indio: kinda sleezy neighborhood: 82043 Hwy. 111, Indio, CA 92201
Vicky’s of Santa Fe
45-100 Club Drive,
Indian Wells, CA 92210
Grilled Vegetable Stack, eggplant, Portabello mushrooms, yellow squash, bell peppers, and herbed goat cheese; Seasoned Eight-Bone New Zealand Rack of Lamb; Homemade Apple Pie; Wedge of Iceberg Lettuce with diced tomatoes, applewoodsmoked bacon, and bleu cheese dressing; and Scallops served on sautéed spinach with mango salsa, drizzled with a little butter.
“Vicky’s is known for generous portions of good quality food served at reasonable prices.”
· Cook at 111 PALM DESERT CA 92260-3801
· 41-800 WASHINGTON ST (North of Fred Waring) BERMUDA DUNES CA 92201-8154
· E. Vista Chino at N Sunrise Way PALM SPRINGS CA 92262-3569
Ruby’s in downtown Palm Springs
155 S. Palm Canyon Drive
Palm Springs, CA 92262
Aqua Paza - in the River Shopping Center in Rancho Mirage has lots of great appetizers priced at 50% until 6:30 or 7:00PM and then again after 8:30--small pizzas, calamari, etc--lively atmosphere and a real bargain. Another great bargain in RM is Halawaia Joe's, on 111, closer to the Cathedral City border--teriffic appetizer menu 50% off until 6:30PM. Great ribs, ahi tuna, potstickers, etc. in a beautiful building built into the side of a mountain. Enjoy. Make reservation inside or outside.
73-098 Highway 111,
Palm Desert, California 92260
Great Italian place, family owned well established restaurant that locals frequent more than tourists. It can be difficult to find so use map as it is just off hwy 111 on a service road. Just look for the busiest spot! Food excellent.
Sammy's Woodfire Pizza - Palm Desert73-595 El Paseo Rd.
Palm Desert, CA 92260
Some of the recent reviews are disappointing.
40101 Monterey Ave
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
Take Country Club to Rancho Mirage, Monterey and CC., in the center, across from Albertsons.
La Tablita Restaurant - Mexican
Address: 68369 E Palm Canyon Dr, Cathedral City, CA 92234
Phone: (760) 321-5935
Delicious Mexican food, family owned.
Address: 66121 Pierson Blvd,
Desert Hot Springs, CA
Palm Desert – Top Restaurant List
Palm Desert – Top Restaurant List
www.palm-springs.org/dining.htm or http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g32847-Palm_Springs_California.html
Alphabetical Guide to Restaurants
Special Events Calendar
1. Palm Springs Street Fair – Thursday nights. They close main street for vendors, food, music. Palm Springs VillageFest. 401 S. Pavillion Palm Springs, CA 92262 Phone: 760--320-3781 An exciting attraction downtown Palm Springs every Thursday evening. Come for the music, food and fun
2. Massage - "All About Massage", 74-121 Hwy 111, Palm Desert just east of Portola. Phone 346-7949. Request desert stone massage from one of their more experienced masseusses. They place warm, not hot, stones on your back. Very calming and therapeutic. Ask for $10 coupon for first time visitor.
3. High country desert jeep tour - Take camera – Desert Adventures
4. Street Fair at College of the Desert - Saturdays and Sundays – Free – All year round. Open from 7 AM. Phone: 760-776-0152. 43-500 Monterey Avenue, Palm Desert, CA 92260. Open every Saturday and Sunday.
October through May, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
June through September, 7 a.m to Noon
Free Parking, Free Admission
5. Walking tour into Indian Canyons
Near downtown Palm Springs - Take camera.
Friday, Saturday & Sunday
(July - September) 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Tours are in season only and approximately 1.5 hours and are 1 mile in length. Register at Palm Canyon Trading Post.
For Information or Reservations Call (760) 323-6018
Directions from Marriott Desert Springs
1. Country Club to 111 North
2. North on 111 past Gene Autry Trail.
3. This becomes E. Palm Canyon Drive and you're heading west on it.
4. Watch for Smoke Trail Lane on L as landmark.
5. Go about 500 feet more and take L at Sunrise Way heading south.
6. S. Sunrise becomes S. La Verne Way as you veer right.
7. Left @ S. Toledo Ave. that becones E. Murray Canyon Drive.
8. Follow as E. Murray Canyon turns West, then R at S. Palm Canyon Drive.
9. The hiking gate is at 38520 S Palm Canyon Drive on the left.
10. This is 0.4 miles past Old Rincon Villiage Rd
11. If you reach Andreas Canyon Rd you've gone about 0.2 miles too far.
6. Walking tour into Indian Canyons at Taquitz Canyon with guide
“Hiking to a waterfall in the desert”, this is a deep gorge 2 mile loop trail to 60 foot water fall.
Location is at end of 500 West Mesquite, Palm Springs, 3 signal south of Ramon, at base of mountain.
8 AM is when guided hike starts. Get there 7:30 to 7:45 AM.
Another great place to go hiking near Palm Springs (Indian Canyons is their sister location that also offers great hiking). The trail is a loop through the canyon that takes you to a waterfall at the end of the canyon. This is a mildly strenuous hike, you need to be able to climb up rock stops that are 12-15 inches high. We went with people age 6-60 and everybody was able to do the full loop out to the waterfall and back.
Bring your camera for photos of the scenery, there are also hummingbirds in the canyon that you may be able to get photos of. Were closed toed shoes, either tennis shoes or hiking boots. The hike will take a couple of hours
1. Take 111 into Palm Springs which becomes E. Palm Canyon Drive.
2. Pass S. Farrell and Sunrise Way which run N/S.
3. Continue on 111/Palm Canyon business as it turns north.
4. After Octillo, turn left at Mesquite and at end.
Drive, walk or bike tour of the homes of the Stars
Pick up rental bikes in old Palm Springs historic area, then follow self guided maps past home where all the stars screwed and drank their brains out, Elvis, JFK, Marilyn, the Gabor sisters, Liberace, etc.
Pick up free map of the stars' homes at
Palm Springs Visitor Center
2901 North Palm Canyon Drive
Corner of North Palm Canyon Drive and Tramway
Palm Springs CA 92262
Open 9 - 5 PM Daily
7. Casino Gambling - not in the center of Palm Springs. Instead, head south on interstate to casinos in the Indio area. Better casinos and odds. But sleazy oldsters.
8. Jeweler - M. Schwartz Estate Jewelers. Downtown Palm Springs @ 112 North Palm Canyon Drive (just North of Tahquiz Canyon intersection. north of Ramon Road Palm Springs, CA 92262, (760) 327-7524. Say hi to Betty, Carol and Mel (owner) & Mr. Isaac Outland, the negotiator and great guy.
9. Drive Up to Idyllwild – a quaint mountain village.
Located a mile high above neighboring desert communities, Idyllwild offers a respite from the summer heat, and a cool, snowy wonderland in winter. The highways to Idyllwild are State Scenic By-ways, which provide stunning views, diverse terrain from the deserts below up to our towering pines, all on well maintained, easy mountain roads.
From Palm Desert, take Hwy 74, start at Hwy 111 just west of Cook. Takes about an hour to drive there.
Chamber of Commerce info:
Fry’s - about 7 miles from downtown Huntington Beach.
10800 Kalama River Ave
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
Phone: (714) 378-4400
M- F 8 to 9. Sat 9 – 9. Sun 9 – 6
Fry’s Ad Specials
1. Depart 512 13th St, Huntington Beach, CA 92648
2. Turn LEFT (North) onto Main St which changes to Ellis Ave.
3. Go thru Beach Intersection and continue heading away from H.B.
4. Turn LEFT (North) onto Brookhurst St - Mimi’s Café on Brookhurst @ Ellis)
5. Turn RIGHT (East) onto Talbert Ave with Shell and Chevron gas on corner than over F’way.
6. Turn RIGHT (South) onto Mt Shay St
7. Then right again onto Kalama River Ave, Fountain Valley and Fry’s is in rear.
To exit, you must bear right and get back on F’way then off at Brookhurst exit.
Fry’s @ City of Industry
8 – 9 Mon - Fri
9 – 9 Sat
9 – 7 Sun
13401 Crossroads Parkway North
City Of Industry, CA
FAX (562) 463-2418
Thousand Palms Oasis Hiking Trails
29200 1000 Palms Canyon Rd, Thousand Palms, CA, 92276
The Coachella Valley Preserve is located 10 miles east of Palm Springs near 1000 Palms. It is a 17,000 acre site that is home to the Coachella Valley fringe-toed lizard, which is found nowhere else in the world. It is also home of the spectacular Thousand Palm Oasis which is fed by water seeping out of the San Andreas Fault. There are also several other Palm Oases, including the Willis, Hidden Horseshoe, and Indian Palms. Located in the center is the Paul Wilhelm Grove that is also the location of the Preserve's visitor's center. The preserve has several hiking trails including the McCallum, Hidden Palms, Moon Country, Pushawalla Palms, and Willis Palms trails.
Trails in the Coachella Valley Preserve
- Pushawalla Palms Trail loop - Hike along an uplifted section of the San Andreas Fault Zone on the Pushawalla trail.
- Willis Palms Trail - A fairly easy hike to a palm oasis.
- McCallum Trail - A nice hike through the Coachella Valley preserve.